Friday, December 5, 2008

Taco Stands

One of the surprises of Moving to Mexico is how much we enjoy eating at at the Taco Stands. The one we most frequent is in our small town and is only open on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Upon arrival, a plate with radishes, salsa, peppers and limes instantly appears along side a bowl of salt. My 1st action is to squeeze a lime and drop salt into the cervaza I brought (it is BYOB). The kids order Manzana Lift (carbonated apple juice) which thrills them. Next, we order beef tacos with everything - even the kids eat them with everything. It is like eating tapas - you order a couple then chat - then order another one, then chat - on and on. At 8.5 pesos each (less than 85 cents!), it is easy to order several with little financial damage.
.
The kids always order flan as their desert while playing cards, checkers or whatever games we have lugged along. Fun times.
>>
Note: I am in USA tonight so I "celebrated" Shabbat with Husband and boys over the telephone. The prayers sound especially special when loved ones are far away.
Shabbat Shalom.

7 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

Yumm...those tacos sure do look good. I think the secret is in the corn tortillas.

Shalom to you also!

Unknown said...

Yummie, I dont eat meat anymore but I loved a good taco. There´s a place at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, called Los tacos de la Calle, very famous, open only few days a weeek, that you should really try out, they´re the best tacos.I am sure you will love them

Bob Mrotek said...

AM,
I think you meant 8.50 pesos (8-1/2) and not 85. However, here in Irapuato the same tacos cost only 4 pesos. I imagine that the area you are in lets the vendors charge more. They sure do look good though :)

Frankly Ronda said...

YO - they are good. Ihave to admit I prefer the flour though! They have both versions.

i - recognize the place in the pictures? :)

B - You are right! I left off my decimal. 4 pesos - wow - that IS a deal.

Steve Cotton said...

AMM -- Taco stands are one of my favorite experiences in Mexico. When I was down in July, I had just received my order when I heard a tourist screaming at the top of her voice: "This is not a taco. Haven't you people ever been to Taco Bell?"

Theresa in Mèrida said...

oh my, I just choked when I read Steve's comment. If that poor tourist freaks out on those tacos, try ordering a burrito in Mérida, snicker.
Tacos here run about 4 pesos but are al pastor not res, tiny with only have a little meat and some pineapple. Yours look bigger and more interesting. But then again TIY (this is Yucatán) not México, so it's all very different.

Frankly Ronda said...

S - Total LOL - that is very funny!

T - yes we do get a nice value for twice the price but give or take 20 cents ...