Sunday, March 15, 2009

Change through Knowledge

I just read:

In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor’s Journey in the Saudi Kingdom
by Qanta A. Ahmed, M.D.

"It is a substantial book and should be savored by readers who feel as I do, that the more we know about the inner workings of countries the more understanding we have of their policies and their view of us." http://reviews.armchairinterviews.com/reviews/in-the-land-of-invisible-women-a-female-doctor

"In the Land of Invisible Women gave me a lot to think about, and just not about the complexities of Saudi Arabia but also my country’s, the U.S.A., interactions within the Middle East."http://bookchronicle.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/nonfiction-in-the-land-of-invisible-women-by-qanta-a-ahmed-md/

Much of what is revealed in this book is difficult to read as an American, a Jew and a woman. However, it is important for me to try to understand other belief systems just as I would like others to try to learn about mine.

Tolerance. Understanding. Equality. Acceptance. Someday ...

1 comment:

Theresa in Mèrida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.