Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Puff The Magic Dragon

Oldest Son and Youngest Son often go to sleep to music. Youngest Son has a favorite children’s CD that starts with Puff the Magic Dragon.

Last night I was awakened by this song - Puff the Magic Dragon. The CD player had mysteriously restarted.

I walked into my little boys’ room. They were fast asleep. I watched them and tears ran down my face.

Why you ask? Puff the Magic Dragon has prompted feelings of melancholy ever since I became the Mommy of boys. It so eloquently represents the innocence and imagination of little boys and that someday little boys are little no more.

Oldest Son and Youngest Son are still ripe with fantastic and imaginative play as they Live By The Sea. “Zorro” was in our tree this afternoon! (see above pic)

But, I have to tell you that motherhood is bittersweet. I celebrate every development but morn the parts of childhood left behind.

Puff the Magic Dragon written by Leonard Lipton, Peter Yarrow
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,
Little jackie paper loved that rascal puff,
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. oh

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.

Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on puffs gigantic tail,
Noble kings and princes would bow wheneer they came,
Pirate ships would lower their flag when puff roared out his name. oh!

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.

A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, jackie paper came no more
And puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.


His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his life-long friend, puff could not be brave,
So puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave. oh!

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,
Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Brother/Husband got a musical dragon for Niece when she was very small and it played the tune. She was enchanted by it and I, like you, feel bittersweet when I hear it. Your boys are growing into wonderful young men and one day you'll look back and wonder where the years went. Savor these moments, Sister in law.

Anonymous said...

Just wait until your "little boys" are about to be married (clue: evan)! How time flies and you are taking advantage of that with your boys in Mexico! xox

Steve Cotton said...

I understand your feelings. You may find this inappropriate, but I started to sing that song to my perro viejo Jiggs when I thought he was starting to fade. Well, I have paid for my sentimentality. One year on and I still sing it to him every night. (I cannot believe I am admitting it.)

Frankly Ronda said...

HS - Some themes are universal I guess. I hope your prediction comes true ... we can only do our best.

A - A timely post given your upcoming family addition. As I hope HS prediction of "wonderful young men" comes true; I also would be proud to have our boys have similar attributes to your young man.

SC - Crack me up. Who knew before? Now many will know! I find it quite endearing. Blogs do pull the most interesting tidbits out ...

Ginger said...

My boys so loved that magical song as well. Cherish every minute of their youth, the time passes so fast as they grow up. I remember the boys running around in towell capes fighting the dragons! My boys will be 35,38 and 41 in a couple of weeks. Their b-days are 1/29,1/31 and 2/3. Middle son will be traveling home from Afghanastan for a two week leave. He is scheduled to fly out on his b-day! I so enjoy your posts! Love from my family to yours - G

Frankly Ronda said...

FROM VisitLaManzanilla:

As the mother of a 5 year old I'm too choked up to comment. I'm amazed everyday by they way he views the world, so pure, so simple, so innocent.

(opps last comment was meant for your Puff post not even sure how I got the the New President post! past my bedtime!)

Frankly Ronda said...

G - Wow I should have known song and feeling would resonate but did not really. Boys do love their capes & swords!

LM - My kids move me so as well - it is such a powerful part of parenthood.